Using Distributor with multiple logging applications

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jun 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM
I have run into a problem with the exception/logging blocks being combined, whereby the exception cannot be logged to the same file as the logger.

This has been identified as a bug and the current workaround is to use the entlib MSMQ distributor to receive the logging and expections via MSMQ.

I have installed this workaround and it works fine for a single application doing logging to a single queue. I am confused as to how this can be applied in a many to many situation(many applications using the distributor to route messages to many application specific log files.

My question is this: if there are several applications running on the same server that the distributor service is running and they all want to log messages and exceptions to a separate log file for each - how can this be accomplished via the distributor?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears to me that the distributor is looking only at one message queue, and, based on the context of the message, will then route it to the correct log file trace listener. Does this mean that each application using the logging/exception should apply a prefix to their context messages so that they get routed to a separate file? Or, do they each log to a separate queue?

Any guidance would be appreciated.