Configuration questions-environments, encryption, etc.

May 14, 2007 at 12:08 PM
I want to create a configuration that changes from dev to test to prod. The new 3.0 has environments built in but I am not sure exactly how to use it. Is there a tutorial someplace? I also want to know how I would go about changing a configuration for a deployed system. Also how to I change a configuration for a deplyed system if the values are encrypted.

As an example let's say there is a connection string. I want to use a different one for each environment specified above. Then I want to change the server name in production. If I am using SQL authentication and want the password encrypted, how would that change the process?
May 14, 2007 at 4:37 PM
Here are a few tutorials on using Environmental Overrides:

Environmental overrides made it into EntLib v3!

Environmental Overrides in Enterprise Library 3.0

Environmental Overrides in Enterprise Library 3.0 - Managing Development, Test, Staging, and Production Configurations Made Easy!

Automated Environmental Overrides Merging via Batch File or NAnt Build File

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
May 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM
David. Thanks. You generate a tremendous amount of useful information on your site. You seem to be interested in the same things I am (GAT/GAX and CodeSmith googles end up on your site too). I already have seen all of these but don't know how to integrate them into a MSI file and I don't understand how to use encryption and change encrypted configurations after they are deployed. I am looking for a straight forward, end to end tutorial.