Application Block Software Factory

Topics: Building and extending application blocks
Apr 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to use the Application Block Software Factory (ABSF) to create a custom Application Configuration Block. For that I have installed the Enterprise Library 3.0. Following are the most basic steps that are mentioned in the documentation.

To create a new application block
1. In Visual Studio, point to New on the File menu, and then click Project.
2. In the left pane of the New Project dialog box, under Project Types, expand Guidance Packages, and then click Application Block Software Factory.
3. In the right pane of the New Project dialog box, under Templates, click one of the following: Application Block (C#); Application Block (C#) No tests; Application Block (VB); Application Block (VB) No tests. When a project marked as "No tests" is selected, a unit test project is not created.
4. In the Name box, enter the name of the solution.
5. Optional. In the Location box, change the location of the solution.
6. Click OK.
7. The Create New Application Block wizard appears.
8. In the Name box, enter the name of the application block.
9. In the Friendly Name box, enter a description of the application block.
10. In the Author box, enter the name of the author.
11. In the Namespace box, enter the default namespace for the application block.
12. Click Finish.

My problem is that I don’t see anything like Guidance Packages under the Templates on the Left Hand side or Application Block (C#); Application Block (C#) No tests; Application Block (VB); Application Block (VB) No tests in the New Project Dialog on the right hand side.

On another machine which had the .Net Framework 3.0 installed I compiled the Application Block Software Factory Source and ran the installer. This resulted in all the options mentioned in step 3 appearing in the New Project Dialog Box.

I want to ask that if I don’t need to change anything in the ABSF, just use it then is there an out of the box way to do that without installing framework 3.0 or GAT? Why don’t I see those options in the new project dialog box ? My current config is as follows:

1. Windows XP SP2
2. .Net Framework 2.0
3. Visual Studio 2005 with SP1
4. Enterprise Library 3.0 (source code installed)
5. GAX
Apr 26, 2007 at 10:38 PM
The system requirements in the documentation specify that you also need to have the .NET 3.0 Framework installed for the Application Block Software Factory.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
May 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM
I have .NET Framework 3.0 installed but I don't see the Application Block Software Factory. I have installed all required packages before installing the EntLib but it does not work.

My config is:
* Windows XP SP2
* .NET Framework 3.0
* Visual Studio 2005 with SP1
* Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007

May 30, 2007 at 4:42 PM
Not sure. Did you install the .NET 3.0 or GAX after you installed EntLib 3.x? It looks for all requirements during installation and installs the ABSF only if it sees .NET 3.0 and GAX. You may want to uninstall EntLib 3.x and reinstall if you added the other dependencies later.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
May 30, 2007 at 5:53 PM
Installed .NET 3.0 and GAX before installation of EntLib 3.1.
I'm going to uninstall and reinstall everything except Visual Studio and try again later.

Thanks.
Jun 9, 2007 at 7:15 AM
This is the order I believe in which the applications should be installed.

1. Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
2. Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0
3. Guidance Automation Extensions (GAX)
4. Enterprise Libray 3.0/3.1

The order is important because as stated above Entlib installs ABSF only when it sees GAX installed on the machine.
Jun 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM
I'm not using the latest version of GAX when installed for the first time. This is working now, thanks.