Type Selector needs VS restart to update the type list

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:00 AM
Hello,

The Type Selector has some annoying usability problems in my opinion.

1. Whenever I choose to load an assembly in the Type Selector, the type list doesnt get updated when the same assembly is already in the list. So lets assume I add a type to my assembly or need to rename one I can't select the new type in the selector. After restarting VS the list doesnt contain any custom types and I can load my assembly again with the new types.

2. Sometimes the Type Selector lists all types in all assemblies available expanded which makes it very difficult to find the type you want. Some kind of filter would be nice to have (eg custom types, expand/collapse all).

Is there a hidden feature in the type selector that solves this or is it really that complicated?

Regards, Andreas
Apr 26, 2007 at 11:16 PM
I don't like the Type Selector either. I wish it had some type of filtering and built-in smarts that when I load an assembly it should directly take me to that assembly to pick types.

I have found out by luck that when you load an assembly you should immediately close out of the Type Selector and re-open it. All the assemblies will no longer be expanded and it is easier to get to the assembly you loaded before.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#