Logging block not logging to eventlog in 3.0

Topics: Logging Application Block
Apr 16, 2007 at 7:36 AM
Im trying to log to a custom event log using a eventlog tracelistener. I succeded in this in my first try, the block created the custom log and i got log entries just fine.
But after editing the configuration using the configuration tool the loggin is broken, and i cant get it to log to any custom logs.
I'v tried starting from scratch with a new "clean" configuration, but i can only get the block to log to the existing default Application log.
Is the block designed to create custom logs when the Log property of the trace listener is set to a non-existing log, or was i just lucky in my first attempt?

Another issue is that i cant get the block to log to the eventlog at all when i deploy my application from my Windows Xp workstation to our Windows 2003 test server.
Are there any configuration or security issues i should be aware of when deploy the logging block to another machine/os?

Regards
Anders

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:57 AM
I dont know the problem I'm facing is similiar to yours or not, but i think it might be a bit weird behavior. I'm using the application logging block (EL 3.0) on localmachine (I have not deployed yet), if i change the source of the trace listener other than the default source (Enterprise Logging Library), the logging stops working...

I cant figure out why this is happening, it shouldnt have any dependancies..

May 25, 2007 at 11:50 PM
Andersrosten - Check the custom log's properties in the Event Viewer. Make sure you're not reaching a maximum log size. I've found that Enterprise Library stops logging if your log properties are not set to Overwrite events as needed or Archive the log when full.
May 28, 2007 at 5:22 AM
Edited May 28, 2007 at 5:25 AM
were having the same problem as mentioned by andersrosten, the logging in the application log is working fine on local system and preproduction (win2k and win2k server) but stops working when its deployed on production server (win3k server)

all the other things are working on production such as exception hanlding email trace listener and the trace log file listener

any one found a solution to this or anyone else experiencing anything similar ? we might be deploying using EL 3.1 , perhaps its a bug

mpapas wrote:
Andersrosten - Check the custom log's properties in the Event Viewer. Make sure you're not reaching a maximum log size. I've found that Enterprise Library stops logging if your log properties are not set to Overwrite events as needed or Archive the log when full.