Enterprise Library Configuration won't save

Topics: Data Access Application Block, General discussion
Apr 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM
I am trying to learn how to use Data Application Blocks that comes with April 2007 release of Enterprise Library and faced this weird issue:

I create a Class Library project,
add app.config file to it,
right click the app.config file and choose "Edit application library configuration" - it opens the Enterprise Library Configuration screen,
Data Access application blocks branch is already there so I just change the "LocalSqlServer" connection string parameters,
Choose file - "Save",
close the solution and re-open it,
the changes I made to app.config are not there - when library configuration tool is opened again - the settings from there are gone as well.

Windows x64, VS 2005SP1.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:23 PM
The "LocalSqlServer" connection string cannot be edited with the tool, since it's actually stored in machine.config. The .NET config system will automatically merge settings from machine.config into every config file you load, but the tool only saves to the app/web.config file so it can't change that connection string. The presence of this shouldn't cause any harm so I'd suggest just ignoring it, but if you really don't like it you can edit or remove it by modifying machine.config using a text editor.

Tom