StrongNamingGuidancePackage rebuild errors

Topics: Building and extending application blocks
Apr 12, 2007 at 8:40 PM
After fixing the bug in ConnectionStringEditor.cs, I rebuilt EL3 and now need to use the StrongNamingGuidancePackage to apply a strong name prior to putting the revised DLL's into the GAC. According to the instructions, I should see a Tools/Guideance Package Manager in VS 2005 SP1 when I open up EnterpiseLibrary.sln. I don't have that menu item. So, I figured I need to rebuild the StrongNamingGuidancePackage. Wrong again! At least seven References of the form Microsoft.Practices.* come up as broken, preventing a rebuild of StrongNamingGuidancePackage.sln. Per recommendation in the Release notes, I tried changing them to Version Specifc=false, but that doesn't help either. Why doesn't EL3 come pre-packaged with everything needed to rebuild itself and the Guidance Packages? If I'm missing something, offer to install it as part of installing EL3. Don't make me hunt down anciallary add-ons, etc. just because I want to fix a (admitted in prior posting as "a silly copy/paste boo boo") bug in EL3's ConnectionStringEditor and now want to strong name all of the rebuilt assemblies.
Apr 12, 2007 at 8:55 PM
If you don't see the Guidance Package Manager menu item, it probably means you haven't got the Guidance Automation Extensions installed. The EntLib guidance packages (ABSF and SNGP) will not install and won't work if GAX isn't there.

Tom
Apr 13, 2007 at 8:02 PM
So, I need something called GAX that *** DOESN'T COME PRE-PACKAGED WITH EL3 LIKE IT SHOULD *** in order to recompile and use the Strong Naming Guidance Package. Where (URL please) do I obtained this thing called GAX? I still don't understand why in the he(double hockey sticks) the installer for EL3 doesn't check for prerequisites like "GAX" and offer to install them (or go get them on my behalf).
Apr 13, 2007 at 8:07 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Sorry for the inconvenience. The reason we don't package GAX with EntLib is that it is currently being updated more frequently than EntLib, and it's also a shared prerequisite for other p&p deliverable such as our software factories.

GAX can be downloaded from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/teamsystem/aa718949.aspx

Tom