Configuration documentation

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Apr 5, 2007 at 1:20 PM
Hi,
Apparently there is little-to-none documentation on Configuration. I know that it used to be a part of EntLib, but then moved to .NET System. However the .NET documentation contains only Configuration classes reference, but not the general description on how the classes operate and how they should be used together.
Also, there is no such section in EntLib documentation. While every other app. block is well described (like Caching, etc.) Does such documentation exist anywhere at all?
Apr 5, 2007 at 8:02 PM
I think the configuration information is sprinkled throughout the documentation and discussed more in terms of each application block as opposed to configuration as a whole. This probably happened because Configuration is no longer and Application Block but really a few classes sitting on top of System.Configuration. I agree that they should probably have a section that discusses configuration strategies and key scenarios as a whole.

Since it won't happen prior to the release of Enterprise Library 3.0, I recommend just asking specific questions in this forum as well as using any webcasts and quickstarts as additional resources.

I wrote a short article here, but it doesn't talk about key scenarios. It only introduces some code examples of SystemConfigurationSource and FileConfigurationSource:

Enterprise Library 2.0 - From Configuration Block to IConfigurationSource - SystemConfigurationSource - FileConfigurationSource

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Apr 6, 2007 at 3:08 PM
Thank you Dave.

I was a bit puzzled by the following statement in the EntLib docs:
"To support extensibility in the Enterprise Library, configuration includes helper classes in addition to those classes found in the System.Configuration namespace. These helper classes support polymorphic collections, generic collections, and configuration sources. These enhancements require configuration to be based on the Dependency Injection pattern instead of the Provider pattern, as is the case with the System.Configuration* namespace."

Does it actually mean that EntLib config does not use System.Configuration as is, but rather "re-implements" it?

I am trying to extend Conf. console so it can be used to edit my custom properties, and not only application blocks's settings.
Apr 6, 2007 at 3:49 PM
That is a slightly odd statement, but rest assured that EntLib does use System.Configuration, at least when using the System- or FileConfigurationSources.

Tom
Apr 9, 2007 at 7:45 PM
Missing Space in "Specifying Environment-Specific Configuration Settings"

In the code sample is shows:

MergeConfiguration.exe configFiledeltaFile mergedFile

Should be
MergeConfiguration.exe ConfigFile DeltaFile MergedFile