Old versions of EntLib

Topics: General discussion
Jan 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Hi,

Is there any place where I can find the old version of EntLib for my .NET v1.1 application?

Thanks for reading.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I can still download the 1.1 version here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7d2a109-660e-444e-945a-6b32af1581b3&displaylang=en

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

entlib.support@avanade.com

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM
Edited Jan 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply, and I too can download from the given link. Am trying to explore all the possibilities.

Regards,

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:47 AM

Possibilities of what?  Do you have any other concerns?

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:05 AM

I can’t stop myself to thank you for the quick and spontaneous response and I couldn’t believe that this happened in a fraction of moment. Anyhow, you are so kind to respond in no time, thanks for that.

Our current application is developed using 3 different flavors of DB connection mechanisms such as mentioned below

1)       NzDBProvider – developed by our NZDev Team

2)       SQLHelper – provided by MS

3)       NHibernate

And am trying to see how can I replace all the above with the EntLib. Am trying to see, whether I can replace all the above with EntLib or not. If so, what would be my impact on the app as well as estimate the work.

On top of all I need to see that, is EntLib the right choice for me to this project?

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:15 AM

If you want to use EntLib, you would need to add extra classes for your own database provider.  Rather than explaining every bit of it, I suggest you check out the ODP.Net provider here - http://www.codeplex.com/entlibcontrib/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3167

I suppose the SQLHelper is the one from the previous version of entlib, am I right?  In that case, you'll no longer be needing that if you want to use the latest version of entlib.

On item # 3, sorry but I'm not that familiar with NHibernate so I can't give you any concrete advice on that matter.

Glad to be of help.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Yes, you are right that SQLHelper is the old version of EntLib. Secondly, the current app doesn't work with Oracle, hence we would not be working with ODP.NET. The one disadvantage of this version is that, it doesn't have a method that returns DataTable. Am going to tweak that.

My only issue is with nHibernate. Anyhow, it is nice to see your support like this, at lightening speed. Your manager must know this.