Firebird Provider for DAAB

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Mar 10, 2007 at 6:16 AM
Hi, I'm kinda new to Enterprise Library.

Is it possible to use the Firebird .NET Provider for the Data Access Application Block? I tried placing FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient in the ProviderName for the ConnectionStrings\DefaultConnection section in the EL Configuration Console. But when I tested the program, the EL couldn't find the said provider. Is there something that I should do first?

I tried looking at the source code and the documentation. I'm having trouble understanding this line though:
"The ProviderName property must be a provider name specified in a DBProviderFactory class."

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

Firebird .NET Provider >
Mar 12, 2007 at 4:38 PM
Yes, but I have not tried it.

When you installed the Firebird .NET Data Provider it should place an entry in your Machine.config with all the other data providers:

You should have a Firebird one in here...

<add name="Odbc Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.Odbc" ... />
      <add name="OleDb Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OleDb" ... />
      <add name="OracleClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OracleClient" ... />
      <add name="SqlClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SqlClient" ... />

Then in you connection string makes sure the providerName you specify is the same as the invariant mentioned in the Machine.config entry.

The DAAB will use the GenericDatabase Class for all communication with the Firebird ADO.NET Data Provider.

The key is the entry needs to be in the Machine.config file.

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Mar 13, 2007 at 3:47 AM
Ah, I see. So that's what was missing. I figured there was really something wrong cause when I installed the MySQL .NET connector, the provider can already be seen. Which is not the case with the Firebird provider.

Thanks a lot! I'll try modifying the machine.config..