Changing the source - A slippery slope

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Exception Handling Application Block
Dec 17, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I've got a bit of a problem and I'm hoping some of the more expereenced EntLib users can offer some wise advice.

I ran into a bug in 4.1 that was preventing me from add a new Exception Type to the Exception Handling block.  After reading and researching I found the solution was to modify the Configuration Editor source and make a small (2 line) change.  OK, no problem, I did that and indeed it works with my Exception Type now (EventTopicException).  I noticed that when I build the source they appear to be unsigned assemblies and I have several applications that are using the SIGNED version of 4.1 - I went through quite a lot of work and debugging to update them from 3.1 to 4.1.  So, I tried to run my newly built configuration editor on my existing app.config files but of course it's crashing because my config files are for the signed version and the config editor is apparently expecting unsigned.  I then tried moving the config editor into the same directory as my signed 4.1 binaries but it crashes there even faster.

I'm needing to learn a lot of new topics in order to deal with this one single issue.

• I never really wanted to edit the source, I have no other changes that I want to make
  • I don't want to try using unsigned assemblies in my applications because I think there is something in my deployment chain (ClickOnce maybe) that requires they be signed
  • I DO have a pfk file that we use for signing our own assemblies and it's possible for me to use that with the EntLib source, but I would need to update all my app.config files with the new token

I'm not really sure what the best way to proceed is.  Ideally I could create the modified configuration editor to work with the released EntLib 4.1 signed assemblies, but to be honest I'm not really sure what that would take or how to start.

If I can't do that, is there anyway to sign the assemblies with the same key that P&P used to generate that "31bf3856ad364e35" token?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, I just want to handle EventTopicExceptions! ;0)

-Steve

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:18 AM

Hi,

What is this EventTopicException? is this your custom class which inherits from System.Exception? Do you have a repro steps to recreate the scenario in which the config tool wont allow you to add exception?

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Answered same concern in http://entlib.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=78404.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com