Newb: How to set Visual Studio to use my compiled Config. Editor?

Topics: Building and extending application blocks
Dec 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM

I ran into a issue/bug and the solution I found was to modify the Configuration Editor source and compile my own version.  OK, no problem.

Now I can't figure out how in the world to get Visual Studio to use MY compiled version.  In fact I can't tell where the integrated configuration editor is running from.

Here is the thread that suggested I modify the editor.  The problem was related to loading dependency when adding a new Exception Type to the Exception Policy:

To summarize: I modified the Configuration Editor/Console and now I want to make Visual Studio use my version.  What do I need to do?  Where are the paths stored that tell VS where to load the editor?

Thank you VERY much for any help.  I feel like I'm almost there, just need to get this last detail sorted out.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:36 AM

There are 3 things you can do:

Option 1: Right click on your config file, click Open With.  Browse to the location of your recompiled version of the config editor which should be in the same directory as with your recompiled binaries.

Option 2: I haven't tried this but you definitely need to modify some registry entries.  You can check out this registry file (which is for the 3.1 version) but I think the registry keys are the same for the 4.1.  Try editing the file location where your new binaries are.

Option 3: Just place your new binaries and the entlibconfig.exe in the existing entlib installation folder.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:03 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!  You mention a registry file but I don't see anything on your post like an attached file.  Am I missing something?  Should there be a registry file attached?  I'm most interested in this method so I can point the editor to my repository.

Thanks again,

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Oops, sorry, forgot to paste it -

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Got it, thanks for the help.  I have been able to start the editor from visual studio although it opens as a standalone application.  It's OK though, not a big deal.