Latest drop posted: 12/15

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion, Pre-release discussions
Dec 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Hey folks, just wanted to let you know we've just posted the latest Entlib 5 drop to Codeplex source control. Some bug fixes, but mainly it's been a LOT of progress on the new configuration tool.

Please check it out and give us some feedback. This groups been pretty quiet on feedback, and we really need to know what you folks think!

-Chris

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Thanks for the drop Chris! I'm taking it for a spin tonight as part of my work on Composure. I'll let you know how I make out with it.

-Ben

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Hello again Chris,

I am working with this new drop again to build it against .NET4 and I have to go through a whole slew of test failures to make everything work as expected. The good news is that there ARE solutions to most problems.

I DO understand that you are not YET targeting the new Framework. But I wonder if it isn't the right time to be thinking ahead about how EL can be released with a full battery of passing tests and usable QuickStarts straight out of the box.

I made a few comments about this on another thread and I'll include those here because I think you are probably the guy to whom they should be addressed:

I am having similar issues with Instrumentation in the 5.0 drops as I attempt to migrate EL5 to .NET4 (see Composure).

It seems like it would be useful to add to the Enterprise Library suite a GUI utility specifically designed to handle EL WMI configuration. It is really a tedious process to ensure that all counters, configuration settings, and events, are properly set up for the tests and the QuickStarts. I think it has to be one of the primary issues when developers decide to give up on EL because of the relative complexity involved. I think a lot of people must throw up their hands before they even make it through the "Quick"-Starts, much less the full suite of tests.

I have not had any success with the script provided. Instead I have had to individually work directly with InstallUtil.exe and then check WMI repeatedly to resolve problems. I don't know if this has anything to do with using the newer operating systems (server 2008 r2, vista, win7) or what.

Am I missing something or does anyone know of an existing utility that makes this process easier and faster to manage?

It also seems like a good idea to dedicate a specific document with more detailed guidance for instrumentation and configuration required to run all tests successfully. I've encountered significant numbers of tests that fail invariably because of the assumptions made by the tests themselves and NOT because there's anything wrong with the library itself. Obviously the P&P team has all of this configured properly on an ongoing basis. But those of us who migrate across development environments are subject to a severe penalty when it comes to such issues.

Thanks,

Ben

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Chris,

It appears that the vast majority of errors I am encountering are related to the new security model in .NET4. I will investigate the feasibility of building a patch that will wrap the relevant code in pragmas to enable 3.5 SP1 and 4.0 mutable configuration. Hopefully there will be only a handful of remaining issues after that.

PS: Let me know if this is of no current interest to you. I am only interested in fixing the forward compatibility issues for my own edification. I'll keep quiet about it if you don't have the time for this.

Ben