Config tool error: Assembly does not contain any objects that inherit from System.Object.

Topics: Validation Application Block
Mar 1, 2007 at 8:07 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2007 at 8:16 PM
In the Validation configuration tool, when I try to load an assembly that contains classes that all inherit from classes in another assembly; I get an error message stating "There were no types found that implement or inherit from the base type 'System.Object'". Thus, I am not able to add validation to my objects.

Note the Assembly I am trying to load is auto-generated from a code generator so there is not a lot of room for changing that assembly to accommodate this issue.
Mar 1, 2007 at 9:48 PM
Does it work if you load the dependent assembly into the picker first?
Mar 1, 2007 at 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, no it does not.

After some more digging it seems that the issue has nothing to do with error message I am getting. When I create a completely separate Assembly, and reference it instead of trying to reference the version in the debug directory (that is copied in from a project referance), the Type chooser allows me to load it.

I suspect this is the same problem that generates the message below when trying to specify a Validator that is in the same Assembly as you are trying to configure.

No Types Found In Assembly.
There were no types found in the assembly 'ClassLibrary1' that implement or inherit from the base type 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.Validator'.

Thanks again.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:28 AM

I asssume you were trying to load your Custom Validator?

I believe it is looking for an attribute on the custom validator as shown below and the error you are getting is a bit misleading.

Load the app.config I provided in your other discussion and you will see the Load Assembly... Option finds the custom validator:

Validation not being run.

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#