Should Environments Automatically Load When Loading Main Config File?

Topics: General discussion
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:21 PM
Not a huge deal, but seems a little contrary to how you think it might work.

If you create new Environments, say Test and Production, using the new Feb 2007 Configuration Editor and then close out of the editor and re-open the main configuration file, the Environments don't get loaded automatically.

One needs to right-click the Environments folder and open the delta file for each environment created to get them to show up in the GUI Configuration Tool again.

Seems like the Configuration Tool could automatically look for delta files in the same directory as the main configuration file and open them automatically.

Just a thought. I was a bit surprised at first to not see the environments I created and thought maybe they were lost somehow.

Kudos to Olaf on the addition of the Environmental Overrides!

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:51 PM
Thanks Dave. This was actually a deliberate decision, although that doesn't mean it's right :-)
The logic behind this is that we thought that the master shouldn't know about all of the environments. In many situations deltas for different environments will be owned by different people and stored in different places, so we didn't want the master to look for all of these files which may not exist in any one place. Do you think this reflects reality? Is it worth the usability hit?

Tom
Mar 1, 2007 at 7:31 PM
I had a feeling it was a deliberate decision and definitely understand the rationale.

My main reaction thus far is that the behavior is unexpected, and I think people will definitely wonder what happened to those environments until they learn they need to be loaded separately.

There also may be some confusion as to how certain settings got overridden if they don't know there is a delta file in the background providing overrides.

I think the ultimate solution is to keep track of the environments created and load them all automatically by default, allowing me to choose any that I don't want loaded automatically.

I think that will keep the normal usability yet allow people with complex configurations to filter environments.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#