How to provide relative path for "File Configuration Source"?

Topics: Logging Application Block
Dec 1, 2009 at 10:05 AM

My App.config - contains:

<configuration>

<configSections>

<section name="enterpriseLibrary.ConfigurationSource" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ConfigurationSourceSection, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />

</configSections>

<enterpriseLibrary.ConfigurationSource selectedSource="File Configuration Source">

<sources>

<add name="File Configuration Source" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.FileConfigurationSource, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

filePath="D:\CustomLogging.config" />

</sources>

</enterpriseLibrary.ConfigurationSource>

<appSettings>

</appSettings>

</configuration>

CustomLogging.config file consists of my Logging configuration. The application is working fine with the absolute path. EL is able to read LAB configuration from the custom file. But I want to give the relative path of the application.

If we change filePath="D:\CustomLogging.config" /> to filePath="CustomLogging.config" /> or filePath="..\..\CustomLogging.config" /> it looks for the file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\...

Rather my CustomLogging.config file is present in the same directory where the app.config lies.

Is there a way I can provide relative path for filePath attribute.

Can we give path programmatically. I Tried initializing the Configuration.FileConfigurationSource with the CustomLogging.config file. But could not find a way to give it to the EL configuration.

It would be helpful if anyone gives me a few pointers or code snippets in case of programmatic intialization of File Configuration Source.

Regards,

Abhijeet Inamdar.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Hi,

I tried something like you've decribed and its working fine for me. For the filePath like this(filePath="CustomLogging.config")  the config file is the same level as my executable. I can send you my sample solution.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM

That would be great.

Thanks,

Abhijeet.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Where should I send it?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

abhiai@gmail.com

Other readers - no spam please.

BTW I'm using VSTS Unit Testing to test the Logging class. This is the place it is creating a problem.

I might work for application. I would like to have a look at the code.

Regards,

Abhijeet.

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Abhijeet, we're unable to send mail with .zip attachments to gmail.  Please provide another email address.  You need not post it here, just send us an email in entlib.support@avande.com