Installing EntLib in the GAC with Setup projects

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Nov 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM

A while ago, back in version 3.0 actually, there was a guidance package to modify the projects and solutions of the core EntLib assemblies and applications blocks to sign the assemblies and create setup projects that would install those assemblies in the GAC. I am looking at the source code now and see that a lot has changed since 3.0, I don't even see the ObjectBuilder project anymore. Is there a guidance package for creating setup projects that would install the newer version of the Ent Lib in the GAC?

I also noticed that there are references in the projects to some assemblies in the Lib directory, where is the source code for these assemblies? Are they part of a different project now?

I am trying to migrate my custom application block to the newer version and am having trouble deciding what path to take.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Miguel.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Hi,

I'm not too familiar with things that comes with ent lib 3.0, Is it the "Strong Naming Guidance Package"? For the objectbuilder, the source code comes from the Unity application block installer.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, that was it. It made it pretty simple to create setup projects that placed all the dlls in the GAC. But it's not there anymore... :(.

I saw the unity project and it looked like the Microsoft.Practices.Unity.* assemblies come from there, but I don't see source for Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter or Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation which are also in the Lib directory of the entlib source.

So my other question is how about a strong naming guidance package for the Unity code as well ??

It seems to me that having a library like this in the GAC makes a lot more sense than deploying it locally in all my applications.

Miguel.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Hi,

For the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter, here is the answer from the ent lib team http://entlib.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=48566 . I'm not sure why the strong naming guidance package is not included with the shipped components from the enterprise library. Maybe the ent lib team will have better answer with regards to that. Also, I'm not sure if the strong naming guidance package from the 3.1 can be migrated to work with the new version of the ent lib, I'll try that and get back to you.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Guidance packages have a huge maintenance burden, and we cut them from Entlib so that the team could get other, higher priority work done. Nobody here has touched either the strong naming package or the app block factory package since they were released.