Ent Lib 4.1 Msi problem on Win 7

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question.  Please redirect me if not.

Since installing Windows 7 I have not been able to install Ent Lib 4.1 MSI. I get the following error message:

A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Users\tsorelle\Downloads\Enterprise%20Library%204.1%20-%20October%202008[1].msi

The actual download file path is "C:\Users\tsorelle\Downloads\Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008.msi"
I tried clicking the "unblock" button on file properties, renaming the file, moving it to another location and multiple re-boots and re-downloads.

The MSI was downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1643758b-2986-47f7-b529-3e41584b6ce5&displaylang=en 

Any clues?

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Hi,

How did you rename the file? did you rename it to the filename that it was looking for? The filename with the "[1]"?

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I made it work by downloading again but clicking "Run" instead of "Save".   I have no idea why this worked.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I've read a post that says, he has a failed previous attempt of downloading a installer, that's why in the next download, its appended by "[1]". anyways, glad to know its working now. cheers!

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM

In answer to Valient, and in case this information helps anyone trying to fix the installer:

Two experiments:  1) renamed it with the [1] as Valiant suggested.  2) Renamed it to "entlib41.msi"
In either case I got the exact same error message with the original MSI name + [1]

Also tried running from command line 'as administrator.'  No difference.

Tried different settings of User Account Control.  No luck.

Thanks Valiant, for your help.  As it turns out selecting 'Run' instead of 'Save' from the download did the trick.