EventSourceAnalyzer and Rich Payload Data

Topics: Semantic Logging Application Block
Feb 1 at 7:03 AM
.Net 4.6.1

Constructing an EventSource based class with EventSourceSettings.EtwSelfDescribingEventFormat which enables "Rich Payload Data".

When using EventSourceAnalyzer from NuGet/EnterpriseLibrary.SemanticLogging.EventSourceAnalyzer it seems like every event where rich payload is utilized fails the tests (Unsupported type...).
If so, the unit test with the analyzer is useless.

Something I misunderstand ?
Feb 4 at 12:39 PM
EventSourceSettings.EtwSelfDescribingEventFormat is new for .NET 4.6 and Semantic Logging was developed and built against .NET 4.5. So, EventSourceAnalyzer has no knowledge of the new setting.

What to do about that?

One option is to get the source code and update to use .NET 4.6 and handle the new setting. I haven't looked at it but, depending on the changes, it could be a bit messy.

Another option would be to use the Microsoft.Diagnostics EventSource package since (I think it should still have) its own EventSource validation triggered on compilation. However, if you are using other SLAB features then you would also need to build SLAB against the Microsoft.Diagnostics EventSource package.

There is some discussion about .NET 4.6 support:

Finally, the Semantic Logging project has moved to github: so that would be the best place for SLAB.