Environment Overrides request

Topics: General discussion
Jun 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I'm a new user of entlib, and have started using the Environment overrides feature.  I like what it does, but lost overrides a couple of times until I finally figured out how it works.  As a result I have these items that I think would be easy to fix.  I did some searches and found multiple people asking about this back as far as 2006, so maybe stuff like this is already on a list someplace.  Here are the points:

1. If an overrides delta file is created after creating an environment, it should be added to the solution.  Especially because opening a config file shows no environments (no delta files) by default, and someone is supposed to know that they exist and manually load them, it is important that the solution reflects that delta files have been created.  And that as a result the delta files make it into source control if the solution is a source control solution.  I shouldn't have to add the delta files to the solution manually.  It is too easy to forget/lose them.  In general, if someone enters info into the config tool, seems like one way or another that entered information should be part of the solution/project being edited, so it can't get lost.
  2. When opening a config file any previoulsy defined environments in the solution should show in the entlib config editor.  I don't have a big preference on how, just that some good way needs to be there.  I found one old post that indicated these don't show by design since the base config file is not changed to reflect them.  I'm not sure why that restriction is true, but if it is, there are other ways to track whether environments and their related delta files have been created.
  3. If the manual "Open Environment Delta" menu item has to be retained for some reason, at least allow multiple selection on the delta files. In our shop all apps have at least 2 environments, worst case as many as 7 that have overrides on connect strings, log file paths, etc.  It is slow to open each of these one-by-one so that editing can be done. I think this matches issue 17163.

I'd be interested if there is some better way to handle this that I've just plain missed.  If not, are there any plans already to do improvements to the Environments functionality?  If not, would be helpful to put in an issue for items 1 and 2?  I voted for open issue 17163 - it's the only applicable open issue I could find.  Since I was the third vote in a year, maybe this is a low-interest issue.

Thanks in advance for any info/tips/corrections.... 

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:03 AM

I don't believe there are other ways to know about those other environments as you might have already read in this post - http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=7746.  I don't know about the exact feature improvements for the next release but you could vote for it here - http://blogs.msdn.com/agile/archive/2009/03/27/enterprise-library-5-0-tentative-product-backlog-published-story-feature-prioritization-is-open-your-participation-is-invited.aspx

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avande, Inc.