MergeConfiguration Error

Topics: General discussion
Jun 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM

When I used the "MergeConfiguration.EXE" tool in a batch file, it work's fine.

When another programmer tries to use the batch file, they get the following errors:

Configuration Error: Tentative d'exécution d'une opération non autorisée.

OK, It's run on a FRENCH Windows XP SP2! It translate roughly to "Configuration Error: Execution attempt of a not authorized operation."

I have all the autority on the batch directory, on the directories where all the config and delta files are located, and on the "MergeConfiguration.exe" directory

They have "modify" autority on those directories.

I tried on other machines and the merge work well for me, including on machine where the merge does not work for others. It's look like it's with the account that there is a problem, a rights needed by "MergeConfiguration.EXE"? The "MergeConfiguration.EXE" tool version 3.1 (may 2007) worked for others, now we switch to version 4.0 (may 2008).

Here the command lines:

pushd "\\smuapinffil01\dev\Livrables\CIO\CQ\CQ4"

"\\smuapinffil01\dev\commun\Architecture\Composantes.NET\Enterprise Library 4.0 - May 2008 (for .NET 3.5 and VS2008)\MergeConfiguration.exe" "CIOPollReportTams.EXE.Config" "CIOPollReportTams\CQ4.DConfig" "AppCQ4.Config"

popd

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM

Hi,

Maybe the account that the other programmer used has less privileges than than the account you've used. Are you using a account of a Administrator?

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:33 PM

The other programmers are all administrators of their computer. The only rights they don't have, and that I have, is full control on the share and the directories used. MERGECONFIGURATION shouldn't need full control rights.

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Hi,

I tried replicating your error but couldn't. Can you please provide the stack trace? Also what is your .NET trust level on your Local Intranet?

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM

We all have FULLTRUST on everything executed from the intranet.

For the moment it's the QA that can't do the merge, and they only have acces to Mergeconfiguration.exe and all it's DLL (like any non-dev PC I tried and that worked), If I do the MERGE on their PC, it's works, if they do it, it doesn't.

if they use MergeConfiguration.exe V3.1 (on a projet and Delta configured with Enterprise library 3.1), they can do a merge.

if they use MergeConfiguration.exe V4.0 (on a projet and Delta configured with Enterprise library 4.0), they cannot do a merge.

I wouldn't know how to get the stack trace from a non-developper pc (no installed Visual studio 2008).

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Can the other users simply run a .exe file in that same directory?  If not then that tells us that the MergeConfiguration didn't get the chance to start to execute.  Regarding the error you're getting, is there no stack trace displayed?  Is it the full message you're getting?

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.