Current build operation failed exception using DAAB on vista

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Hello all,

I have searched all over and cannot find a solution to this.  I have a database application that is using the Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 DAAB modules.  On my XP development machine I can run my code perfectly with no exceptions.  However, when I copy my executables and the enterprise library DLLs to vista I get an exception.  The exception occurs when I run the code: _database = DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase("DBCompareConnection");

The exception is:

Exception occured: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Database, DBCompareConnection]) failed: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Database' threw an exception. (Strategy type ConfiguredObjectStrategy, index 2)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp[TTypeToBuild](IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)

at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp[T](IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetimeContainer, IConfigurationSource configurationSource)

at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp[T](IConfigurationSource configurationSource)

at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ObjectBuilder.NameTypeFactoryBase`1.CreateDefault()

at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase()

at QADatabase.BasicDatabase.Connect(DatabaseType dbType, String server, String database, String username, String password, ErrorHandlerDelegate errorHandler) in C:\projects\QALibs\QALibs\Database\QADatabase.cs:line 89

at DBDataCompare.DataComparison.ExecuteQueries(BackgroundWorker bckWorker) in C:\projects\DB Data Compare\DBDataCompare\DataComparison.cs:line 380

at DBDataCompare.DataComparison.ExecuteComparison(BackgroundWorker bckWorker) in C:\projects\DB Data Compare\DBDataCompare\DataComparison.cs:line 93

at DBDataCompare.Form1.bckWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in C:\projects\DB Data Compare\DBDataCompare\Controls\Form1.cs:line 299

I cannot figure out what is causing this message.  In the released folder I have included the executable, the app.config file, the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.dll, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll, and the Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.dll (all of which are correctly referenced in the c# project).  The app.config file contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<section name="dataConfiguration"

type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Configuration.DatabaseSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />

</configSections>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="DBCompareConnection" connectionString="<valid connection string>"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<dataConfiguration defaultDatabase="DBCompareConnection" />

<system.web>

<trust level="Full" />

<webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/{1}/" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

Can anyone give me any clue on why this exception is occurring?

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Are you running your visual studio using elevated permissions?  You should right click on Visual Studio and select Run As Administrator.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I'm not using Visual Studio on the Vista machine (not a dev environment).  Furthermore, the application works fine wheither I'm in Visual Studio or not on the XP machine.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:26 AM

Can you please add the Microsoft.Practices.Unity.dll together with the executable. Looking at the source code, it seems that the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.dll is referencing that assembly.

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM

This still occurs even when including the Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Dll with the executable (as well as including the reference in the C# project) 

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Hi,

You mentioned that the Vista Machine and that is not a dev environment. Do you have a .NET framework installed?

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Sorry for my retardedness,

I had assumed that all .net stuff was installed correctly since my c# application was previously running with no issues.  I installed the 3.5 Framework and SP1 and it all seems to be working now.

Thanks for the replies!