Configuring the location of the Entlib bin folder relative to the VS Projects folder?

Topics: General discussion
May 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

We are using TFS.   Our Entlib bin directory is located in:

{projects}\shared\entlib\4.1\bin

{projects} is whatever base project folder the user has configured in VS.  This allows us to add new formatters and such to the directory, everyone can get them from TFS and they are available from configuration without having to load files in the configuration tool.   It is also a common place to reference the assemblies since we are not storing them in the GAC.   

What I am trying to avoid is each person having to manually edit their registry to create or modify the EnterpriseLibraryConfiguationSet to point to this folder.

Has anyone found an easy way to do this?  Is there some sort of "token" I can put in the path in the registry which would represent the current configured projects directory?    That way I could create a .reg file people could just install it.  Are there any other methods of configuring this location other than through the registry?

Thank you,

Rich

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:30 AM

I'm not aware of modifying the location other than through the registry.   The key you need to modify is either one of these two:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Practices\EnterpriseLibrary\ConfigurationEditor (for per-user settings)

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{488366a4-630c-4a0e-a6a2-b019cee13bea}\ConfigurationEditor (for machine-wide settings).

(http://dotnetslackers.com/ADO_NET/re-54063_Avoiding_configuration_pitfalls_with_incompatible_copies_of_Enterprise_Library.aspx)

Hope this helps.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com