Issue with permissions when using logging block

Topics: Logging Application Block
May 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could help me. I am using the Enterprise library logging application block in my .net project.

I have run to an issue.

The logging works perfectly locally on my machine, logs errors to event log, files and database so its all good.

I install the application on web server, windows server 2003 and bang, no logging whats so ever. This really puzzled me but I felt it may be an issue with permissions. So I changed the settings in the application pool that this site runs in. The change I made was:

App Pool -> Properties -> Identity tab

I changed the application pool identity from Configurable to predefined. I then selected Local Systems as the predefined.

This solved the problem, now logging to eventlog, files and database.

So this is the solution, however, I dont feel comfortable setting up the identity as such, for one reason I have read its really not recommended.

Is there any other way of fixing my problem than setting it up as Predefined on the Local System? Any help or advice would be great on this.

Thanks

May 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM

You can just configure the permissions for the event log.  Refer to this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323076

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

entlib.support@avanade.com

May 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Many thanks for your repsonse, I used the link to make the neccessary changes.