Oracle, Data Block Enterprise Library 4.0 and Pooling

Topics: Data Access Application Block
May 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I'm currently using the Data Application Block -- from Microsoft's Enterprise Library 4.0 -- to get data from an Oracle database.  Every time I run the ExecuteDataset, ExecuteReader or GetStoredProcCommand methods, I get the following error:

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges ORA-06512 SYS.DBMS_UTILITY

The connection string contains "POOLING=FALSE."  If I remove it, or set it to true, the methods work fine.  But, we are required to set POOLING=FALSE in our connections strings, so removing it or setting it to true is not a solution.

Any ideas on why I could be getting the above error message?  I've never had a problem with ExecuteDataset or ExecuteDataReader when using the application blocks for 1.1.

Craig

May 13, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Hi,

I came across this page http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-36744.html , seems to be related to the error you've got. Can you please try the solution they have.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

entlib.support@avanade.com

May 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I didn't try the solution provided in the URL, because I don't have this issue when I try to execute the procedure in SQL+, which is what this user is doing (or is doing at the command line)  When I connect to the database, set the role and execute the procedure in SQL+, it works fine.  The problem is that when I connect to the database, set the role and execute the procedure using the Data Application Block, I get "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges ."  And this error goes away ONLY when I remove POOLING=FALSE.

And dbms_utilty has been granted to PUBLIC.

May 14, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Could you try execute the same statement using the regular ADO.NET? 

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

entlib.support@avanade.com

May 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Yes, it works fine when I use .Net's OracleClient library (System.Data.OracleClient) and get the data using OracleDataReader.

May 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Are you connecting to a Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC) Database?

May 15, 2009 at 2:12 PM

No, I'm not.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Any other suggestions or recommendations?