Cannot decrypt Enterprise Library

Topics: General discussion
May 3, 2009 at 6:41 AM
Hi,
I have encrypted Data application block using RSA encryption via the VisualStudio-integrated enterprise library configuration editor.
I can open the config file using the same and see all encrypted data fine.
However when I use the stand alone configuration editor, I am getting error "Failed to decrypt using provider 'RsaProtectedConfigurationProvider'...." and "The RSA key container could not be opened."
This is on the same machine, so I don't think it's an issue with key cannot be found, but it seems to work only with one set of config editor and not with another.
I have not changed the default Enterprise library configuration setting under Solution properties, because I cannot find this setting on the properties dialog box. So I think I am still using the Enterprise Library files set that is in C:\Program Files\..
May 4, 2009 at 3:18 AM
I tried to repro your case but I wasn't able to, I was able to open my config successfully on the stand alone config editor.  Could you post your exact steps?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
May 4, 2009 at 3:33 AM
hmmm. could it be my operating system? I'm using vista ultimate.
After encrypting the config using visual studio config editor, I went to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin
and double clicked EntLibConfig.exe
From there I opened the config file I just encrypted.
Oh, I'm using Configuration Source from web.config to a separate config file. It is this separate config file that I encrypted.
Opening web.config with stand alone config editor yields same result by the way.

Thanks for looking into this.

Rudy
May 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM
I opened both config and both works fine.  I don't know of any issues regarding this that has something to do with the operating system.  Could you post your exact steps?  We might be missing something.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.
May 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM
I have solved this. Apparently I need to righ click on EntLibConfig.exe and choose run as administrator.
I have to do the same whenever I open my VS2008. Doh..why didn't I think of that?
Thanks Sarah for your assistance.

Rudy
May 4, 2009 at 5:08 AM
Yeah, same reaction here!  The usual "Run as Administrator" thing in Vista.  Glad it's working now.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.