capturing contextual information using ExceptionPolicy.HandleException?

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Apr 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM
What is the best way to ensure additional asp.net contextual information is captured when using ExceptionPolicy.HandleException?   

My custom IHttpModule has this code:

bool propagateError = ExceptionPolicy.HandleException(originalException, Properties.Settings.Default.ExceptionPolicyName, out newException);

Specifically, when the exception is handled and ultimately logged I want to ensure that the current Request.Path, the user host IP address, and the principal user name are all logged in addition to the exception detail.   I supposed I could hack something together where I jam this information in the Excaption.Data dictionary prior to handling the exception.   Is there a better way to do this using configuration and a custom IExtraInformationProvider?

thanks!

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:01 AM
Yes you could add those information in the .Data collection property of the exception.  I'm not sure if you could do this in config but I would suggest creating a custom exception handler or using
the helper method from this thread http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=37570 would suffice.  Within the catch block,add those info you need to the Data
property before the call to ExcptionPolicy.HandleException.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com