Where is the source for Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter?

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, General discussion
Feb 26, 2009 at 2:55 AM
I have almost managed to complete a project by project compilation (don't ask why) of version 4.1 of the Enterprise Library.

Along my travels I've learnt that it also requires the Unity Application Block version 1.2 and I am now at the final hurdle, namely the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter.dll

I know that this DLL is installed with the MSI but I want to be able to compile it myself (specifically because I am targeting a 64 bit machine)

Can someone please tell me where I can find the source for this

Many thanks!
Feb 26, 2009 at 3:30 AM
Hi,

I tried looking at the latest available source code of ent lib. And it seems that the source for Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter.dll is not included, in the source it is package as dll and referenced by some ent lib component. I'm not sure if it is by purpose to not include the source for that. I'l try to confirm this to the ent lib team and get back to you.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Feb 27, 2009 at 3:37 AM
Thanks mate much appreciated.

Might be a worthwhile casue for them to include other dependent code as well i.e. Unity Application Block 1.2 because as you can't build EntLib 4.1 without it.
Mar 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM
Hi Valiant

Have you heard anything back from the Ent Lib team in regards to the missing source code for 4.1?

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM
I've done a bit of digging around, I am certain it wasn't used in version 2 of EntLib and it hasn't been.

It first appeared in version 3.1 but, like 4.1, only as a DLL and not as the actual source code.....
Mar 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM
Hi Hatchman,
        We haven't got an answer yet from the entlib team.  But we will get back to you as soon as we have the answer or one of them will be replying to this thread.  I think it was their intention not to include it.  There are other dlls which are not also released like the source code for visual studio integration. 

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.
Mar 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Thanks Sarah

This is the only DLL though that does not also have the source made available (as far as I can tell) for entLib 4.1. All other dependent code can be found in the Unity Application Block 1.2.

Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter only appears to be used to build the EntLibConfig.exe tool

If we can't get the source for this component we can't build it as an exclusive 64bit component, not that it is a major deal as we wouldn't deploy EntLibConfig.exe on a production server, but I would think this dependency kind of defeats the purpose of providing an open-source code library that you can't build independently.
Apr 7, 2009 at 1:20 AM
Bumping this one up again as it has been over a month and I have not heard any word about why the source for Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.HostAdapter has not been included
Jun 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM
Edited Jun 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I made the HostAdapter discovery today as well (the source isn't included).

I decided to follow Tom Hollander's advice (http://blogs.msdn.com/tomholl/archive/2007/04/19/avoiding-configuration-pitfalls-with-incompatible-copies-of-enterprise-library.aspx) on using strongly named keys so that you get full traceability through including the source code in a larger project.  

Pity.  This seems to be the only sticking point.

The other trick that I found was that ObjectBuilder2 is a dll built by Unity, but which doesn't get referenced by using the 'include project method'... build Unity and  go to ..\EntLib41Src\Blocks\Unity\Src\Unity.StaticFactory\bin\Release and include the ObjectBuilder2.dll binary.  This peculiarity (when following the build from my-signed-source-only creed) seems to have something to do with multiple namespaces per project.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Still got no answer from the ent lib team. Well follow up on this.

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Thanks Valiant I would definitely appreciate a follow up on this.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM

This DLL is used to interface the config tool to Visual Studio as part of the configuration tool integration. We deliberately did not ship it as source because it doesn't have much more than an interface definition in it, and since it's a VS integration point, having multiple copies of that interface around would cause lots of issues with VS.