Upgrading from 3.1 to Enterprise Library 4.1

Topics: Caching Application Block
Feb 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Hello,

I need to collect the performance counters for the caching block of a large asp.net website that uses version 3.1 enterprise library.  However, the counters do not appear to work in version 3.1.  I managed to swap out the caching block of the website so now it is using version 3.1 enterprise library side by side with 4.1 caching.

So the problem is that I need to add to the config a instrmentationConfiguration section, but since I am using 4.1 and 3.1 side by side, the run-time throws an exception when the section is used.  If I don't stronly type the section or use the 3.1 section, EntLib 4.1 code throws an exception as the section is not a 4.1 type.  And if I use the 4.1 version section, then 3.1 code throws an exception.

Does anyone know if I can switch on instrumentation dynamically and avoid the configuration mess, or use a different configuration file upon instantiation of the Cache Manager?

Thanks!
Feb 23, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Can I ask first what's wrong with the 3.1 version of performance counters?  Are you getting any exception?

Sarah Urmeneta

Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM
My understanding is that the caching counters are not instantiated correctly due to slash characters in the IIS AppFriendlyName. Here is the link to the work item for this problem that was fixed in version 4 http://www.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?ProjectName=entlib&WorkItemId=13010.

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM, AvanadeSupport <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: AvanadeSupport
>
> Can I ask first what's wrong with the 3.1 version of performance counters?
> Are you getting any exception?
>
>
> Sarah Urmeneta
> Global Technology & Solutions
> Avanade, Inc.
> entlib.support@avanade.com
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> (entlib@discussions.codeplex.com)
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> entlib@discussions.codeplex.com
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on
> CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts
> to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Hi,

I've been trying to find how to enable the instrumentation programmatically but got no luck. However, as you've said, you can try doing it in a different config file, see if that will work.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com