DAAB Load Times when starting cold

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Feb 18, 2009 at 5:54 PM
Hi!

When starting a .NET application, both windows and web (asp.net or web service), there is a long delay before the DAAB libraries load. In my case, a Web Service that uses the DAAB took approximately 15 seconds to fully load before being able to respond to a request. The same delay was noticeable when starting a Windows Service that used the DAAB. When these same applications where changed to use the original ADO.NET classes, this delay completely disappeared.
In the case of the Web Service, this delay happened at two points: 1. When sending a request to the service directly after restarting IIS, and 2. After a short period of no requests to the service (but less then the Idle Timeout configured in IIS for the Worker Process). If the Application Pool's web garden was configured for more than one process, this delay happened for each process being started.

As a further detail, the computer being used does not have the EL binaries installed in the GAC, but uses local files for each application.
The applications were run on two different machines, both Windows Server 2003, with the same results.

Is there any configuration that could help this issue? If you need more information or details, please let me know.

Schmuli.
Feb 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Hi, what DB are you using?, are you sure the delay is because de assembly loading and not de connection pools??

regards

JPS
Feb 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM
Hi!

I am using SQL Server 2005, one connection string in the config file, non-integrated security. The SQL Server and applications are all installed on the same computer.
I'm not sure 100% what is causing the delay. The reason why the DAAB looks to be the culprit is because both the afore-mentioned applications were already is use before the DAAB was added, and then there was no delay. Further, after discovering the delay and narrowing it down to assembly loading times, the classes using the DAAB were changed to use the ADO.NET classes directly, and again, there was no delay. If the issue was because of Connection Pools, shouldn't there be a delay without the DAAB?

Schmuli.
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM
I don't know what might be the problem but check out this thread- http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2399419.php.  One suggestion made is to install the performance counters by running the InstallUtil that is provided by EntLib.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com