EL 6: Semantic Logging with the Distributor Service

Topics: Logging Application Block, Semantic Logging Application Block
Dec 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Hi,
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've looked through the EL 6 documentation and I'm having trouble determining whether or not EL 6 Semantic Logging can send log events to a the Logging App Block's distributor Windows service. Can semantic logging to send logs to the distributor service? Or can I only use the distributor service with the standard logging application block?
Thanks
Dec 17, 2013 at 4:33 AM
Not a dumb question.

The Distributor Service is tightly coupled to the Logging Application Block because messages are exchanged as binary serialized LogEntry's. So, out of the box the Semantic Logging Application Block doesn't have the ability to send messages to the Distributor Service.

It should be possible to create a Sink in the Semantic Logging Application Block that could map a SLAB EventEntry to a LAB LogEntry and send it to a Distributor Service. However, if you find yourself thinking about doing that you would probably be better served just using the Logging Application Block. :)

Also, the Semantic Logging Application Block can be used out-of-process which is similar to running a Distributor Service on each server.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Dec 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Cool, thanks! Ya, I think I'll use the logging app block since I find the distributor service really helpful when it comes supporting web apps load balanced over several servers like the one I'm designing right now.