Correct approach to logging via interception / injection

Topics: Logging Application Block, Policy Injection Application Block
Feb 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM

We have been discussing adding some instrumentation / logging code to one of our applications and as part of that discussion we have raised the possibility of using some form of interception or injection to avoid a cut and paste exercise throughout the code base etc....

We currently use Ent Lib but not PIAB or Unity, but given we use the other blocks it doesn't feel like a huge leap to consider these for managing the logging code.  The question to me is which approach should we go with, PIAB, Unity or a mix of the two?

The PIAB article on MSDN refers you to Unity as an alternative approach to implementing this feature, does that imply that Unity is the implementation of choice from a P&P perspective and that PIAB may be deprecated some time in the future?

If not, is there any guidance as to which approach we should consider and when?

Additionally, are there any useful articles on how to do this with Unity, I got the PIAB example, but I must admit I got somewhat twisted trying to get my head round the Unity approach...

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:55 AM
I believe PIAB will be moved to Unity, not sure what version that would be but in 4.1, they have somewhat started it.  The callhandlers are now part of the Unity.Interception assembly.   Here is a screencast by David Hayden on Unity with Logging Application Block -

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.