Migration from entlib 4.1 to 5.0 or 6.0

Topics: General discussion
Sep 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Edited Sep 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I currently have a web application and several class libraries that are using entlib 4.1.

I recently upgrade all of these applications and libraries to .NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010. I am still using entlib 4.1 with these classes and everything is running fine.

I am contemplating upgrading all of these applications and libs to entlib 5.0 or 6.0. I have several questions around this, that I could not find via search. If someone can help to provide some answers I would greatly appreciate it!

1) Should I upgrade to entlib 5.0 or 6.0?
2) Do I need to completely remove entlib 4.1 off my PC, before I install the new version?
3) Can both entlib 4.1 and entlb 5/6.x live on the same PC at the same time?
Sep 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1) Should I upgrade to entlib 5.0 or 6.0?

Enterprise Library 6 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (and VS2012 is recommended) so if you are using .NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010 then Enterprise Library 5 would be the upgrade.
2) Do I need to completely remove entlib 4.1 off my PC, before I install the new version?
3) Can both entlib 4.1 and entlb 5/6.x live on the same PC at the same time?

No and Yes. You can have multiple versions of Enterprise Library installed on one machine. Just be careful not to reference (project and configuration) incorrect versions in your application. Enterprise Library 6 changes from previous versions in that it does not formally install to Windows.

For upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0 then you will definitely want to read the Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0 Migration Guide. There is also a Migration Guide for Enterprise Library 6.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to