Security Application Block & Memebership

Topics: Security Application Block
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Hi,

I am new to the Security Application Block and would like to know if the I want to use the Security Application Block for my web application
do I  need use the System.Web.Security.Membership provider?  or I can use the Security Application Block without it?

Thanks
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM
Hi,

It depends on how would you like to use Security Application Block. Here, take a look at this, this might explain more. Also, read the documentation and try out the quick starts, that surely gets you started.
http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=14874

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Hi Valiant,

Thank you for your response, however after reading the thread proposed I am still not clear about the discussion,  I think I am still missing something...

I wanted to use the Sec App Block  (SAB)  for my web application. Is  it mandatory to use it with the membership provided with ASP.NET?

In another words,  Do I need to use asp.net MemeberShipProvider (as is)  or inherit the MemeberShipProvider  abstract class ( if i need to customize)
and have the implementation of the ValidateUser method  in order to use the SAB?   

Thanks In Advance

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Hi,

Are you implementing a Role base security in your Web Application?

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.
Jan 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Hi Valiant,

For now we do not have a role base in our web application; it is public and required authentication to access certain pages ( like user account )

However we are thinking to incorporate an admin module to the site in the future which require an role base.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM
No, it's not mandatory.  If you're going to customize, you can always create your own AuthorizationProvider.  But nothing stops you from using it with SAB.  Check out the quickstarts.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.