Cannot find Semantic Logging source code

Topics: Semantic Logging Application Block
May 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I can't find it under EntLib6 source and I would like to look at the Sinks so that I can upgrade my old "EventListeners" to the new custom sink.

Chapter 6 of the EntLib6 developer guide was lacking in describing how to create an out-of-process custom sink.
May 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Hi,

You can follow as a guidance the implementation of the built-in sinks elements like "FlatFileSinkElement" which implements ISinkElement in "SemanticLogging.Etw" assembly.
Another option may be the CustomSinkElement where you only need to set your sink type and any required parameters and optionally formatters as well.

Regards,
Hernan
May 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Is the source code available? I don't own a copy of Redgate Reflector and I already used up a trial version.
May 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Yes, you can find it from the source code download in sub folder "\Blocks\SemanticLogging\Src\SemanticLogging.Etw".

Regards,
Hernan
May 12, 2013 at 6:38 AM
I'm assuming you got the source, @jonnycoder. As an aside, for a list of Reflector replacements see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2425973/open-source-alternatives-to-reflector. I've been quite happy with ILSpy.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
May 13, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Hi,

You should be able to find details of implementing custom out-of-process sinks for the Semantic Logging Application Block in chapter 6 of the Developer's Guide near the end. There are three relevant sections:
  • Creating a Custom In-Process Sink
  • Creating a Custom Out-of-Process Sink without Intellisense Support
  • Creating a Custom Out-of-Process Sink with Intellisense Support
Note that the core implementation is the same for both in-process and out-of-process sinks, the out-of-process sink requires additional configuration using either the customSink attribute, or a custom attribute defined by a custom schema definition.

Regards,
Dominic
May 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM
hernandelahitte wrote:
Yes, you can find it from the source code download in sub folder "\Blocks\SemanticLogging\Src\SemanticLogging.Etw".

Regards,
Hernan
A SemanticLogging directory does not exist underneat Blocks on CodePlex.

https://entlib.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#Readme.txt
May 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Go to Microsoft Enterprise Library 6 in the Download Center. When you click Download you will be given the option to download the following:
  • EnterpriseLibrary6-binaries.exe 1.0 MB
  • EnterpriseLibrary6-source.exe 7.5 MB
  • Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ConfigConsoleV6.vsix 726 KB
  • SemanticLogging-service.exe 1.0 MB
Select EnterpriseLibrary6-source.exe and then you should be able to unpack all source code.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to