Enterprise Library 6.0 Installation

Topics: General discussion
Apr 30, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Hi,

I was very excited with the release of EntLib 6 but I found that the installation process is a mess. In EntLib5, we have the option of downloading a setup package, install it and everything is ready to use.

However for EntLib6, the installation seems to be more complicated. For a start, the binaries.exe do not install the dlls but instead require us to run a powershell script. The script failed on my server because our powershell execution policy has been set to restricted and we have to lower it just to install EntLib6.

After resolving the powershell issue, the binaries are just downloaded into a folder. At this point I'm unsure if there are anymore additional steps to continue.

In EntLib5, the dlls are GAC-ed and they appear in the Add Reference dialog in Visual Studio. It is not the case now for EntLib6. Do we need to GAC it ourselves?

I hope you can consider a setup package like the previous version as it simplifies development and deployment work a lot. I personally don't like to over rely on NUGET because:

a) It requires my developers to repeat the installation process of the package every time they start a new project.

b) It requires an internet connection to NUGET stuff, otherwise, we can't start a new project offline.

Thank You

Hugs,
Serena
Apr 30, 2013 at 2:45 AM
I am lost and got into the same situation.
So, what's next after running the powershell script?
Do I have to register the downloaded dlls to GAC manually?
Or, am I expected to use NUGET to re-download the dlls whenever I need it in any of my new or existing projects?

Thanks.
Apr 30, 2013 at 5:12 AM
Thanks for downloading Enterprise Library 6 and thanks for your feedback.

If you wish to deploy to the GAC then you would just run gacutil or drag and drop the applicable assemblies into the GAC. Enterprise Library 5 actually didn't deploy assemblies to the GAC by default when running the installer. Perhaps you mean having the assemblies appear in the Add Reference Dialog?

I wrote up a walk-through which should hopefully answer some questions and give some options, Enterprise Library 6: Installation and VS2012 Configuration.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Apr 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Hi Randy,

After mingling with it this morning, you are correct! EntLib 5 assemblies were not GAC and I actually want them to appear in the Add Reference dialog box. I discovered the workaround which is similar to your link in here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wkze6zky%28VS.80%29.aspx

Thank you for the solution.

Hugs,
Serena