Logging Target Listeners not working

Topics: Logging Application Block
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I have a project which uses entlib 5.0 logging.

I installed entlib 5.0 and vs2010 sp1 in a new computer and the Rolling Flat File Trace Listener and Event Log Trace Listener are no longer working.

What am I missing here?
I ran the "InstallServices.bat" file from entlib 5.0.
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Can you elaborate on what behavior and error messages you are seeing?

Just installing Enterprise Library is probably not enough for your application to work properly. The assemblies will have to be able to be located and loaded by the the .NET runtime. Usually this involves placing the required assemblies in the folder of the application but other options are available such as the GAC or using probing paths or codebase configuration.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Feb 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM
The entlib log functions compile and the application runs with no error messages.

A co-developer with the same setup has the log file and event viewer entries working.
The development machine has Windows 7 64 bit English in both cases.

There is a lib folder for the Application which contains the entlib libraries. The Application refers to these.

I tried looking at the gacutil and I checked if the logging entlib dll was registered and it said no. However the developer whose machine where it works also came up with a no.
Feb 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM
It is working now. Somewhere inbetween the many restarts it started working again!

Is there fixed way to know that entlib is enabled in a computer?
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Good to hear that it's working.

Enterprise Library isn't really a single entity that is enabled or disabled on a computer. Enterprise Library is a collection of reusable software components (application blocks) which can be used by applications. So it's up to the developers to decide what components to use, how they are used, and how they are configured (e.g. enable/disable logging).

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to