Storing Config in database

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block, Validation Application Block
Dec 11, 2008 at 4:40 PM
Hi,
I want to store all my config setcion into database, I am able to create table and required SP for the same but i am not able to add
a new Configuration Source --- "Sql Configuartion Source". On right click i am not getting that node.
http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=17125 I have followed this thread but still not success.

Urgent.......
Dec 12, 2008 at 6:08 AM
Hi,

I tried your scenario, here is what I did.

Note: Assuming that my Entlib Source Directory is: D:\EntLib4Src

1. Run the Sql script from the SqlConfiguration Folder
2. Open the Solution SQLConfigurationSource.VSTS
3. Build the Solution
4. Copy the assembies that was created from D:\EntLib4Src\Quick Starts\SqlConfiguration\Src\Configuration\Design\bin\Debug
5. Paste it to the bin folder where you run your EntlibConfig.exe, (For my testing purpose, i created a copy of the bin folder from the Entlib Source and paste it somewhere else.)
6. Run the EntlibConfig.exe
7. Create new application
8. New -> Configuration Sources
9. In the Configuration Sources node, New -> Sql Configuration Source

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:58 AM
Hi,

More Questions:

[1] I am trying to use SQLConfigurationSource too. The assembly (Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.SqlConfigurationSource.dll) is not in the standard installation bin folder. After a build, it is also not in the C:\EntLib4Src\bin folder either. As you said, I have to build it separately. Is there any particular reason why? The assembly somehow didn't make it to the EntLib 4.0 release, right? (I haven't looked at 4.1, should I?) Or it is subject to change? I asked because I am not sure if I need to check the SqlConfigurationSource solution into TFS.

[2] What is the difference between the solutions in C:\EntLib4Src\Blocks compared to C:\EntLib4Src\Quick Starts?

[3] Why are there CS and VB code in C:\EntLib4Src\Quick Starts? Are they not identical?

Sorry I could have looked into some of these questions myself, but I am running out of time as usual. Thanks.

tm
Dec 30, 2008 at 8:35 AM
1.  I'm honestly not sure why it's not included during installation (this is also the case in the latest version), but I'll get back to you once I find out. If you build the SQLConfigurationSource.VSTS solution, you should be able to see the assembly in EntLib4Src\Quick Starts\SqlConfiguration\Src\Configuration\Design\bin\Debug folder.  You were looking in EntLib4Src\bin folder. 

2.  The solution in the Blocks folder is the EntLib source code itself.  The ones in the QuickStarts are sample applications for each EntLib block referencing those projects in the Blocks folder.

3.  The functionality of the applications are the same, the only difference is the language that was used, CSharp and VB.Net.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Oct 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM
AvanadeSupport wrote:
1.  I'm honestly not sure why it's not included during installation (this is also the case in the latest version), but I'll get back to you once I find out. If you build the SQLConfigurationSource.VSTS solution, you should be able to see the assembly in EntLib4Src\Quick Starts\SqlConfiguration\Src\Configuration\Design\bin\Debug folder.  You were looking in EntLib4Src\bin folder. 

The reason it's not included is because SQLConfigurationSource is not a production code, but a quickstart. We have a story on the backlog for v5 to make it production-quality. It's not high in the priority list, but we may be able to get to it.