Reactive Rule using the Network Load

Topics: Autoscaling Application Block ("Wasabi")
Oct 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Hello,

I am working on an Azure system which is going to scale using the Autoscaling block. In tutorials I have found the code for reactive rules that react on CPU load, i.e.

<performanceCounter alias="CPU_45_RoleBC" source="ScaleGroupB"
    performanceCounterName="\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time"
    timespan="00:45:00" aggregate="Max"/>

For my application, the CPU will not be the bottleneck. Instead, it will be the requests on the Network card. I would like to define a rule which reacts to the average network utilization for incoming requests.

Is there any standard performance counter that I can use? Also, is there a list of these counters anywhere? Because I don't understand the syntax of "\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time" - this seems strange to me and I can't see where to find other options like network load, memory utilization etc.

Kind Regards,

Christian

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Edited Oct 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM

You can see all of the available performance counters by opening perfmon and then trying to add counters (you can RDP into the azure server if you want to know the exact counters supported).  There will be a large list containing many counters.  Also take a look at Performance Monitor Counters -- it's old but still mostly applicable.  

I'm not sure there is a simple network performance counter that will give you the information you need (but perhaps?).  Here is some Azure WebRole specific counters: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/avkashchauhan/archive/2011/04/01/list-of-performance-counters-for-windows-azure-web-roles.aspx

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com