XmlWriterTraceListener

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jan 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM
THis new listener in Jan CTP is supposed to help "integrate with WCF". Is there a description anywhere of what it does and how it meshes with WCF please?
Jan 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM
From the release notes:

A number of enhancements have been made to allow the Logging Application Block to integrate with WCF-based applications. These changes include:

? A new EntLibLoggingProxyTraceListener class. This trace listener is designed to be used in WCF’s System.ServiceModel trace source, which is configured within the <system.diagnostics> section. This trace listener receives WCF messages logged to this trace source, wraps them in an XmlLogEntry class, and forwarda them to the Logging Application Block where it can be processed according to the application block configuration.

? A new XmlLogEntry class, which derives from LogEntry but includes a new Xml property that preserves the original XML data provided by WCF.

? A new XmlTraceListener class, which derives from the .NET XmlWriterTextWriter class. This class can extract XML data from an XmlLogEntry class and write this data to an XML text file. The output of this trace listener can be used with the WCF log file analysis tools.

Let me know if you have more questions about this feature.

thanks
Tom
Jan 23, 2007 at 8:13 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the reply. So I can pipe WCF E2E traces through EntLib's LogSource, then to the XmlTraceListener. My main desire is to merge EntLib logging into the WCF logs, so that my EntLib log messages, Activities and Transfers can be seen merged as an EndToEnd display in the SvcTraceViewer.

Seems like at a minimum, I could leave WCF's logging config unchanged. I then would simply add XmlTraceListener to my EntLib listeners, and I'd have a file output that can merge with WCF trace file, n'est ce pas?