What Validator should I use

Topics: Validation Application Block
Jul 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I'm using an object with 2 properties

public class foo

public int bar {...}

public bool error {...}

end class

Which validator can I use to raise validation error on bar property if error property is true?

TIA

Volker

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM

It sounds like you want to use the UI Validation Integration features.  Typically in those scenarios each UI control will validate with one property.  In a general scenario self validation can be used for inter-property validation but self validation is not supported with the UI integration.  A custom validator could probably handle what you want to do as well.

Can you expand on the scenario, technology and approach?

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com 

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Yes, I want to use this in my WPF forms

my object is an order class.
I have properties for quantity, packageA and packageB and an error indicator
e.g. packageA countains 5 pieces and packageB contains 15 pieces

quantity packageA packageB error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 ->    2              0              false
12 ->    2              0              true, quantity can not be split on a packaging unit
25 ->    2              1              false
16 ->    0              1              true, quantity can not be split on a packaging unit

and I'm displaying quantity, packageA and packageB on my form ( it's used in a listbox)

When assigend by quantity I'm calculating how quantity may split to the different packages

HTH

Volker

PS I use this in a MVVM WPF application. Validiation should used in model on properties from order class

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:54 AM

I don't think you can do what you want with the out of the box integration.

A custom validator might be able to achieve what you want depending on the complexity and dependencies.  Another approach might be to implement IDataErrorInfo to handle validation.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com