Display DataAnnotation with MetadataType

Topics: Validation Application Block
May 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I have my business classes decorated with the MetadataType attribute (Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.DataAnnotations) so that I can specify data annotations in separate classes. This works well, and I am able to validate and display error messages in my Silverlight client.

Now I wanted to take this further, and decorated the properties with annotations like [Display(Name=…, Description=…)]. I want this information to be used in <sdk:Label/> and the <sdk:DescriptionViewer/>. Is this possible with the p&p implementation of MetadataType?

I did not get this to work. I have provided a sample here http://sdrv.ms/MT9OqF showing that the “First name:” label is not displaying as expected.

Thank you / Michael

May 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Edited May 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The attribute (and infrastructure) for Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.DataAnnotations.MetadataTypeAttribute exists because Silverlight doesn't support (the useful) built-in MetadataTypeAttribute.  As the documentation indicates:

This attribute might be deprecated in the future in favor of a Silverlight built-in System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.MetatadataTypeAttribute. The current implementation allows a Silverlight application using Validation Application Block to take advantage of this feature which is available in the .NET Framework, and it can be useful for cross-tier validation scenarios.

Whether that will happen seems up in the air (at the very least!).  The MetadataTypeAttribute implementation is basically just a link between the two classes -- the key is for the framework to make use of this information to provide functionality.  The Enterprise Library 5.0 Integration Pack for Silverlight only provides functionality for validation.  

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer