Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Logging Application Block, Silverlight Integration Pack
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I am new to Enterprise library and was trying to learn by following the example in the Developer guide (Enterprise Library 5.0 Silverlight Integration Pack - May 2011 - Release Candidate) for creating a remote logging service.  When I get to step - Configure the Logging Application Block to Use the Remote Service Trace Listener , I don't find the menu Add Logging Settings for silverlight in my enterprise library configuration tool and hence cannot add the remote service trace listener.  I have installed the Enterprise Library 5.0 Optional Update 1.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

How are you launching the configuration tool?  Try using the configuration tool link located at:

Start->All Programs->Microsoft patterns & practices->Enterprise Library 5.0 Silverlight Integration Pack->Enterprise Library Configuration->EntLib Config for Silverlight

This will use the Silverlight specific profile.

Or if you launch from within Visual Studio using "Edit Enterprise Library V5 Configuration" it should give all of the configuration types (desktop and Silverlight).

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer 

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I am having similar issues and also have the Optional Update 1 installed.

I don't see the the 'EntLib Config for Silverlight' link in the start menu (see the following URL for a screenshot).

From within Visual Studio 2012, I only see links for 'Edit Server configuration file'.

Do you know what the problem might be?

Many thanks,

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM
That first posted image is strange since below Release Notes there should be a folder called "Enterprise Library Configuration" which contains a link called "EntLib Config for Silverlight".

That shortcut runs the following command (for a default installation):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0\Bin\EntLibConfig.exe" "-profile:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0 Silverlight Integration Pack\Silverlight.profile"
Does that start the silverlight configuration tool on your machine?

For VS2012 integration you can install EnterpriseLibrary.Config. Then add an Enterprise Library package to the silverlight application from NuGet (e.g. Caching). Then add a configuration file in the Silverlight project (e.g. SilverlightCaching.config). If you right click on the configuration file you should see "Edit Silverlight configuration file" option.

Randy Levy
Support How-to
Feb 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Hi Randy,

If I use the command line that you provided then the configuration tool is launched. It does not appear to have loaded a Silverlight profile though - there is still no 'Add Logging Settings for silverlight' menu item for example.

I checked the path to the profile and that file does not exist on my machine (although the folder that contains it does).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0 Silverlight Integration Pack\Silverlight.profile

I was pretty sure that I had already installed EnterpriseLibrary.Config and when I tried it anyway, I got the following message.

VSIX Installer

This extension is already installed to all applicable products.

Your tip about adding a configuration file to the Silverlight project did allow me to progress though. I was able to right click on that and edit it using the 'Edit Silverlight configuration file' context menu item and then export to XAML.

I think that it is probably this step that is missing below which is causing the confusion here.

Many thanks for your help.

Note: I would still be interested in being able to open a Silverlight config file from the Start menu if you have any tips there.
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM
As I mentioned, it's strange that you don't see the menu option and now the configuration tool doesn't seem to working properly.

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the Silverlight Integration Pack as well as Optional Update 1 to see if that makes a difference.

Randy Levy
Support How-to