Edit EntLib Configuration fails, but application works

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Logging Application Block
Aug 23, 2008 at 6:57 AM
I've created a custom EmailTraceListener with a few extra fields for supporting secure email.
I'm able to run the application and use my EmailTraceListener.
When I attempt to edit the App.config using the EntLib Configuration editor, I get the following error:

Error    1    Invalid TraceListenerData type in configuration 'listenerDataType="Ipm.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.EmailTraceListenerData, Ipm.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"'. (C:\\Projects\Test\App.config line 14)    

Do I have to put my assembly in the GAC or where should I put it so that the VS designer finds it?
At runtime, I copy my assembly in the same folder as my exe.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:23 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Hi,

The assembly with your custom trace listener must be available to the configuration tool. Adding it to the GAC would work, but this failure shouldn't be the reason for doing it and it will require you to sign your assembly. You can get by by copying the assembly to where the configuration tool is, either copying it to the program files folder or (preferred) copy all the EntLib binaries and your assembly to a separate folder and launch the tool from there.

[edited to correct misunderstanding - this is not the case of a custom provider with no design time support]

Fernando