Config saving+validation=badness

Topics: General discussion
Aug 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Edited Aug 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Enterprise Library, and I'm using EntLib 4. (I'm also new to CodePlex, so apologies if this should be in the Issue Tracker!)

I've found that if I'm using the configuration editor tool from within visual studio (vs2008 pro in my case), if I try to save the .config file when it is invalid, then I get a message box that says "One or more validation errors occurred", which I cannot dismiss - the only way out is to kill the devenv.exe process.

For example, from the Exception Handling Application Block:
  1. Add -> New Exception Policy
  2. Add -> New Exception
  3. Add -> New Logging Handler
  4. Save.
  5. Feel the pain! :-(

Given there is nothing to tell you that it's invalid (unless you choose to validate it), then it's easily done.
Sure, I've been annoyed by it enough times now to be careful to validate prior to saving, but it's not a good user experience for a newbie.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
Is this intentional behavior? (I hope not, it's a pain in the ***)

Aside from that niggle, I'm liking EntLib. :-)

Cheers,
Pete.
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Hi Pete,

I'm unable to reproduce your experience. I followed your steps and got the "one or more validation errors ocurred" dialog, but I could dismiss it by clicking OK and I got the error list tool window populated with the validation errors.

What happens when you try to dismiss the dialog?

Regards,
Fernando

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Hi Fernando, thanks for responding.

What happened was: when I dismissed the dialog, another replaced it. I dismissed that, the same thing happened.
Since it's a modal dialog, I couldn't do anything else in VS, so had to kill the process.

I've just tried it again in a brand new c# project/solution, and the same thing happened twice... however, I'm now unable to recreate the problem (!) The dialog does not re-appear after it is dismissed the first time - the same as for you. If I can find guaranteed steps to reproduce it, I'll let you know. But for now, I'll just have to leave it.

All the best,
Peter.