Help me in deploying SmartClient with ClickOne !

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Caching Application Block , Cryptography Application Block, Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block, General discussion, Logging Application Block, Policy Injection Application Block, Pre-release discussions, Security Application Block, Validation Application Block
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM
I've built succeed an application using SmartClient Software Factory and Web Service Software Facotry . And now, I use ClickOne to deploy my application on many Client machines .

In my application , I use Caching Application Block to retrieve some of data on the local machine and I've configured IsolateStorage as Backing Store. All Clients work fluently.

But follow requirement of Customer, I must encrypt my data retrieved on Client Machines , that means all data cache stored on IsolateStorage have to be encryption.  So , I use Cryptography Application Blocks to encrypt my data cache. And the content of securityCryptography like this :

<securityCryptographyConfiguration defaultHashInstance="SHA256Managed"
    defaultSymmetricCryptoInstance="DPAPI Symmetric Cryptography Provider">
      <add algorithmType="System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256Managed, mscorlib, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
        saltEnabled="true" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Security.Cryptography.HashAlgorithmProvider, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Security.Cryptography, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
        name="SHA256Managed" />
      <add scope="LocalMachine" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Security.Cryptography.DpapiSymmetricCryptoProvider, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Security.Cryptography, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
        name="DPAPI Symmetric Cryptography Provider" />

And now I get some troubles here, when the application updates new version on one client machine it can't work , when I delete data cache on that machine, It continues work well. So I think the problem that is the structure of data cache has been changed, so it can't recognise the old one, and applicaiton can't work.

Please tell me how to resolve it , because it's very uncomfortable for customer when they meet this situation (they have to delete the old data cache when it occurs. I think it's very difficult for the customers who don't have knowledge about this ).

And finaly, my purpose is when my application runs on Client machines through ClickOne . It will check the structure of data cache that stored on that machine. If there's something wrong , it will automate delete the old data cache and the new one will replace.

Please help me this problems. Thanks for support !
Aug 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Can you describe the nature of the failure when you upgrade? Are there exceptions involved?

There is a known issue with click-once-deloyed apps that fail to load previous data sotred in isolated storage because of the way the backing store initialized the isolated storage file (, but this is different.