Cached data is flushed when newer version of application is installed using click-once

Topics: Caching Application Block , Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM
Edited Aug 8, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Hi guys

I'm using Caching Application Block of Enterprise Library - January 2006 to cache my data on user’s workstation. I've configured Isolated Storage as Backing Store. I've made click-once setup of my application.

When I install a newer version of my application, all cached data has been flushed out and when I restore the application to its previous state, I got all my cached data.

When I've tried to find out the cause of this issue, I found that a new folder will be created for each version at following location to store cached data.

C:\Documents and Settings\amit\Local Settings\Application Data\IsolatedStorage\rhaasblp.krw\aabakwn3.4gb

I'm thinking if newer version will use same folder to store or retrieve cached data, this issue may be sorted out. However I'm not very much sure about this.

I couldn’t find out the way to sort out this issue. Please help me.

Thanks and regards
Amit Kumar
kumar.amit@netsity.com

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM
Hi Amit,

It's not that the cache is flushed; the contents are still there but the new version is using a different folder. Shawn Farkas describes how to make IsolatedStorage (the .NET framework feature, not EntLib's backing store) work with ClickOnce the way you expect. Unfortunately, EntLib's backing store does not initialize the isolated storage using the ClickOnce-friendly settings shanwfa describes.

I'll log a feature request for making these settings available through configuration. In the meantime, you can update the source code or create your own isolated storage implementation that works with ClickOnce.

Regards,
Fernando
Aug 11, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Hi Fernando,

Thanks a lot for your immediate reply. Please log a feature request for making these settings available through configuration as soon as possible. As you suggested in the mean time I'll create my own isolated storage.

Best regards
Amit

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:29 PM
Here's the logged feature request http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=17750.

Fernando