Configuration Application Block

Topics: Enterprise Library Core
Jan 3, 2007 at 8:55 PM
Hi,

I just have installed ver 3.0 December CTP and I noticed support for Application Setting within "Enterprise Library Configuration". Is there any chance to return full support for application setting/configuration like we had before in Configuration Application Block?
I am aware of new design changes for .NET Framework System.Configuration namespace but still this is not full replacement for original "Configuration Application Block" features like:
- Configurable configuration stores
- Implicit configuration cache setting
I don't see a reason why is "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration" internal only set of classes? At least I can't see support within "Enterprise Library Configuration" neither within documentation.
It will be great if you can at least add support for custom configurationSections (why only ApplicationSetting which can't be configured to use SQL store for example)?

Best Regards,
Zoran Jovanovic
Jan 4, 2007 at 3:00 PM
Hi Zoran -

The configuration system in EntLib 3.0 is essentially the same as the one in 2.0. We got rid of the Configuration Application Block in v2 as System.Configuration provided most of the required functionality. We did build some additional helper classes to fill some remaining gaps, this includes the ability to use different configuration stores. You can use the tool to add a Configuration Sources section to specify an alternative configuration store.

This is the first time we've provided support for AppSettings in the tool. You always could (and still can) store and retrieve any configuration section, but you won't get nice tool support unless you build custom designtime nodes (which is what we did for AppSettings). Unlike the EntLib sections, AppSettings is always stored in the default config file, since the .NET AppSettings API doesn't know anything about custom configuration sources.

HTH
Tom
Jan 22, 2007 at 7:15 AM
Tom, this means that when I specify an extra store referencing to a file appsettings.config (a file containing with extra config information) it still should work like in v1.1. Coz this is a last problem I have with the migration from v1.1 to v2.0. Or are there any special tricks I have to do first to get it running?

Greets,

Yves