Enterprise Library 4.0 without ObjectBuilder and Unity

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:46 PM
Hi,

Is there a way to make enterprise library 4.0 independent of ObjectBuilder and Unity? It probably seems wierd, but unlike most of you guys here, I think that enterprise library is becomming to complicated for newbies. I have a couple of experienced developers in my team, and when I introduced the entlib as an alternative to our solutions, they started to look at it and after a few days they found it hard to modify as we need. They found ( just like myself ) that entlib source code is too complicated to learn in a few days or even weeks and therefore to difficult to modify. So the only option is probably to just use the original compiled dll's and don't modify the source code.

I've used (not modified) enterprise library since first application blocks versions and I'm a big fan. But it's getting really difficult to convince others to use it too. ( unlike the first versions )

Because my colleagues had a hard time on ObjectBuilder and Unity, I just wonder, is version 4.0 flexible enough to give the same external functionalities without the ObjectBuiler and Unity? How?

By the way, why we programmers always forget that "simple wins"? Why do we try to find just one medecine for all disease?

Regards,
Arash

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Hi,

ObjectBuilder is used in the provider factories, so you cannot avoid using it if you rely on configuration. However, you can use most providers without relying on configuration or factories and thus not using ObjectBuilder.

Regarding Unity, you can use its built-in configuration to create most providers in EntLib. The Unity-related code in EntLib is really used to map the EntLib's native configuration to set up a Unity container, but it's not used by EntLib itself.

Fernando