Backward Compatibility / skip 2.0 and go straight to 3.0?

Topics: General discussion
Dec 27, 2006 at 3:56 PM
I Posted this on the pre-release forum earlier. (probably the wrong place)

I am just starting out with EntLib 2.0 having been in a .NET 1.1 project for a long time. Is it better to just go with V3.0 or should i use v2.0 now and wait for the official release of 3.0 to migrate? Does the current release of 3.0 support all of 2.0 (with some breaking changes here and there or is it a very big change?)

I would be keen on using it on a live project, but we wont be going into production at least till April 2007 (so maybe the RTM version will be out before that?) and i'd like to know whats the best course of action.

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:49 PM
According to the release notes that you will find in the docs folder when you install 3.0, there are only a few changes thus far between 2.0 and 3.0.

Knowing Microsoft's good support for backwards compatibility, I suspect you will find few if any breaking changes as we experience the CTP cycle.

We saw a lot of changes between version 1.0 and 2.0 because a major .NET framework released occurred during that time, however between 2.0 and 3.0, they appear to mainly be adding new application block(s) and additional functionality.

My gut given what I have experienced thus far is that you should consider moving to 3.0. It should be released by April, hopefully, and I don't suspect functionality will be removed or changed as aggressively as we saw from 1.0 to 2.0.

As always, migrating bit by bit in an active test environment with an abundance of unit tests for protection is always beneficial :)

Microsoft MVP C#
Dec 30, 2006 at 11:26 AM
Hi David,
Thanks for clarifying. This is definitely helpful. I'll start looking into it. The strong naming support is especially useful because we are using it with Biztalk.